We will not have a debate as to whether it is true or not, that “smart-o-meter” is in the genes. However, we are to learn a few facts that could help you understand how your brain functions and how you could help it reach its maximum potential. Note though that there are irreversible damages that could be done to the brain like the result of malnutrition. So, the earlier the intervention, the better. Here are some tips you can apply, depending on your current state:
If you are an expecting mother:
· Be sure to follow your doctor’s advice and take folic acid. This is to help in the development of the baby’s brain.
· Do not take any medicine without your doctor’s approval. Over-the-counters are a no-no.
· Never smoke, drink alcohol or take illegal drugs while pregnant.
· Try your best to be in a calm and happy state as much as possible.
· Eat nutritious and whole food.
If you are already and adult:
· First of all, stop thinking that you could do no more. If, unfortunately, there were complications when you were still inside your mother’s womb that could have affected your cognitive capacities today, then keeping a positive mindset is the first step in having a smarter brain.
· Have a supply of superfood (acai, chia seeds, kale, beets, berries, etc.). This helps nourish your brain and keep your neurons functioning.
· Educate yourself – Do not equate education with age. Learn as much as you can. Even those that you don’t like. You are never too old for a university. It is only attitude that grows old.
· Keep your emotions at bay – Remember that your emotions play a big role in the development of your brain as well. And, another thing to stress here is that negative emotions do not make your brain grow. It actually hinders it.
There are still a lot of things you can do to help your brain reach its maximum potential. E-books are readily available for your convenient reading.